Microsoft's FY23 Q4, Zenbleed vulnerability, Nearby Share for Windows
- Microsoft had another blockbuster quarter. What else is new?
- Fiscal quarter: a net income of $20.1 billion on revenues of $56.2 billion. Those figures represent year-over-year (YOY) gains of 20 percent and 8 percent, respectively.
- Intelligent Cloud was again Microsoft’s biggest business unit, delivering $24 billion in revenues (up 15 percent YOY) on the strength of server and cloud services revenue growth of 17 percent. Azure and other cloud services grew 26 percent YOY, and Enterprise Mobility saw its installed base grow by 11 percent to over 256 million seats.
- Productivity and Business Processes was Microsoft’s second-biggest business, with $18.3 billion in revenues, a gain of 10 percent YOY. Here, Microsoft reported that Office commercial revenue was up 12 percent, Office 365 commercial revenues were up 15 percent, and Office consumer revenues were up 3 percent. Microsoft 365 consumer subscribers grew 12 percent to 67 million customers.
- More Personal Computing once again brought up the rear, with $13.9 billion in revenues, a decline of 4 percent YOY. Windows revenues from PC makers declined 12 percent. Surface (and HoloLens, but really just Surface) revenues were down 20 percent YOY, as that product line continues to struggle. Gaming revenue overall was up 1 percent, with Xbox hardware revenues down 13 percent YOY and Xbox content and services revenues up 5 percent, “driven by growth in third-party content and Xbox Game Pass.”
- Top AI companies agree to safeguards (just not for privacy).
- Microsoft opens up Bing Chat to users on Chrome and Safari.
- ChatGPT for Android is available in the U.S. to handle all your mobile AI needs.
- GitHub Copilot Chat is now available in Beta, stage one of the transition to GitHub Copilot X.
Apple is rumored to be working on its own ChatGPT.
- This just in: Preview cumulative update for 22H2 arrives a day late.
- Insider: Microsoft tests 23H2 features in the Beta channel.
- AMD to fix Zenbleed vulnerability.
- Microsoft could release a Surface Studio Laptop 2 this year.
- U.S. Army to test upgraded HoloLens soon.
- Paul looked at how the Activision Blizzard acquisition will impact its quarterly financials. Not much, actually.
- Chief regulators from the FTC and CMA have spoken a bit publicly about their mishandled Microsoft cases.
- Mirroring what happened with the CMA last week, the FTC ended an internal trial against Microsoft so the sides can reach a settlement.
- Microsoft starts rolling out YAHE (yet another home experience)
- Google Play Games for PC expands
Blizzard is bringing key titles to Steam
Tips and Picks
- Tip of the week: Clipchamp’s hidden gems
- App pick of the week: Nearby Share for Windows
- RunAs Radio this week: Future of Integrated Communication with Bob Serr
- Brown liquor pick of the week: Bottles!
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Get episodes ad-free with Club TWiT at https://twit.tv/clubtwit
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Microsoft Reports Blockbuster Quarter, Blockbuster Year
- Analysis: Microsoft’s F23Q4 and the Impact of AI (Premium)
- The Biggest Danger of AI May Be One That No One is Talking About (Premium)
- Top Tech Companies Promise White House to Implement AI Safeguards
- OpenAI, Microsoft, Google, and Anthropic Launch New AI Safety Group
- Microsoft is Making its Bing Chatbot Available in Chrome and Safari
- ChatGPT Android App Launches in the US, Brazil, and India
- GitHub Copilot Chat is Now Available in Beta
- Apple is Reportedly Working on its Own ChatGPT-Like ChatBot
- Windows 11 Insider Build 22631.2050 Brings New 23H2 Features
- AMD to Fix “Zenbleed” Vulnerability Affecting its Zen 2 CPUs
- US Army Will Soon Start Testing Improved Microsoft HoloLens Headset
- Surface Laptop Studio 2 is Reportedly Coming Later this Year
- Microsoft + Activision Blizzard: Show Me the Money! (Premium)
- Google Expands Play Games Beta on PC with New Games, New Markets
- Blizzard is Bringing Overwatch 2 and Other Games to Steam
- Google Releases Nearby Share for Windows
- Future of Integrated Communication with Bob Serr
- Chivas Royal Salute 62 Gun Salute
- GLENFIDDICH 50 YEAR OLD
- Macallan ...THE SIX PILLARS COLLECTION
- Blanton's Store