Sep 25th 2005
This Week in Tech 24
The semi-anniversary edition is on the air
Hosted by Leo Laporte, Patrick Norton, John C. Dvorak, Robert Heron, Roger Chang, David Prager, Kevin Rose
We've outgrown Noonan's already. We're prospecting for another location - probably in San Francisco proper.
Records live every Sunday at 5:15pm Eastern / 2:15pm Pacific / 21:15 UTC.
Guests: Amber MacArthur, Jenn Cutter, Alex Lindsay
We've outgrown Noonan's already. We're prospecting for another location - probably in San Francisco proper. Stay tuned to this site for information. The show will begin one hour earlier next Sunday: 3p.
- Thanks for the Kangaroo Jerky with Flavor Enhancer 621
- Microsoft is reorganizing - Dvorak says it's a prelude to breakup
- Tivo is planning to require a one-year committment
- Dvorak prefers MythTV - expecially with MythKnoppix
- Steve Jobs says the record companies are greedy, and that their proposed price hikes will encourage piracy
- Isn't the future the Yahoo! $5 a month deal? even if it's spoofable with MuvAudio
- The Common Malware Enumeration Initiative is a plan to come up with unified names for viruses
- A very complete example exploit for taking advantage of the most recent Firefox hole has been posted on the net. Make sure to update to Firefox 1.0.7
- We still say Firefox is better than Internet Explorer
- It's a free browser. So how does Opera make money?
- Off the Google searches, of course
- We like the Google start page
- A new virus discovered Wednesday infects Symbian cell phones then, in a
- first, attempts to copy itself to the user's PC
- Google is offering free Wi-Fi in San Francisco - and anyone can use the Google VPN server
- Two of our favorite online TV shows: Amber MacArthur's Command-N and Jenn Cutter's OpenAlpha.tv
- A virtual plague swept through World of Warcraft - causing most players lower than level 50 to die immediately
- John has a fix for blog content spam he says works great. Just prevent bot posting - require all comments to come from your site's forms. Watch dvorak.org/blog for details
- Want to post without registering? Heron uses BugMeNot
- Jay asks: You can still see Leo and Kate's first ultimate gaming machine on Google video
- Dvorak says you'll never need more than 100TB of main memory
- Al asks about our favorite RSS feeds
- Dvorak gets his news from folks who email him
- Digg is adding RSS to its search feeds
- Kevin reads We make money, not art, Engadget, Gizmodo Boing Boing, Metafilter
- Amber likes waxylinks, TechCrunch, RUK.ca, and FURL
- I subscribe to Amber's Furl RSS feed, 43folders (based on David Allen's Getting Things Done), Lifehacker;
- The key is a Moleskine notebook - the ultimate geek fetish object
- A Modesto wishes a Happy Birthday to Chronic and asks what's the best way to record Skype calls? Hotrecorder. Kevin recommends Powergramo.
- Our listener loves AnimationMentor.com - you get to work with instructors from Pixar and ILM
- Alex Lindsay concurs
- Dvorak predicts 20% market share for MacIntel - maybe more
- And don't buy an Apple Mighty Mouse