Sep 4th 2005
This Week in Tech 21
Episode 21 Taped Before a Live Audience
Hosted by Leo Laporte, Patrick Norton, Kevin Rose, Robert Heron, David Prager, John C. Dvorak
Live from the Apple Store in downtown San Francisco.
Records live every Sunday at 5:15pm Eastern / 2:15pm Pacific / 21:15 UTC.
Guests: Roger McGuinn, Arlo Rose, Alex Lindsay, Sal Soghoian
- Creative accuses Apple's iPod of patent violation.
- What's the big Apple announcement Wednesday? Looks like an itunes phone, but is there more?
- Creative ships the Neeon MP3 player with a Windows worm.
- Is Creative #2 in the MP3 player market? They want 40% of the market by the end of 2005, but they're losing money right now.
- Google boycott of cnet reaches week six.
- Free Linspire at least till Sept. 6th. That might be more interesting news if there weren't already better free versions like Debian, Gentoo, etc.
- Roger McGuinn brought us the Samson C01U USB Mic - it's just $80 and perfect for podcasting (or recording).
- Roger's owns his own record company now... which means he actually makes money instead of the record companies.
- Apple kills the Mac mini test drive in one day. Why?
- Textamerica is offering a way for cell phone users in the wake of Katrina to tell loved ones they're ok.
- We were mesmerized by the Katrina blog from Output Crystal.
- Katrina: how is WiMAX going to work if there's no electricity?
- The Associated Press is offering Internet access to a satellite image that covers most of New Orleans, detailed enough that viewers can zoom in to check on particular neighborhoods and streets.
- Scott from Reseller Rattings is offering matching donations to Katrina to the Red Cross up to $10,000
- Arlo Rose from Konfabulator joins us. It's now free from Yahoo!
- Alex Lindsay from DV Garage and the Pixel Corps announced MacBreak the new IPTV show he's doing with Leo.
- Who isn't? Kevin has systm (taping today's show, by the way).
- And Patrick's doing a weekly IPTV show for Ziff-Davis. Episode 4 goes out LIVE 9PM EST September 6th... available for download in WMV that night, in other formats Wednesday. (Woohoo!)
- Patrick holds up the $3 telephone VOiP headset Leo likes so much...
- McGuinn plays the HD-7 - a seven string Martin he designed. Acoustic Guitar magazine is giving one away.
- Listener Questions:
- What's our biz model?
- How do we create RSS feeds? Kevin's doing his in house... Feedburner does a good job of turning blogs into podcasts. Leo uses (and loves) Feeder. Jon of the Jon Hammond show uses .Mac and Rapid Weaver.
- Why did Yahoo! go w/ $1.99 to host domains? It costs at least $4.00 to do the work w/ InterNIC... We think it's a loss leader to get you to buy other Yahoo! webhosting products.
- Where is the PowerPC going after Apple? John says it's dead.
- Gentoo Developer Chris notes crazy patents like the Tarzan yell and swing.
- Ashley... thanks for the Doin' The TWiT theme!!!
- Live next week at Noonan's in Larkspur Landing, CA.