Oct 23rd 2022
This Week in Tech 898
The Alphabetical Show
Twitter & Musk, new iPads, burning art for NFTs, AI chat with the dead
Twitter & Musk to close buyout, Apple's new iPads, artist burns art for NFTs, AI chatbot for dead loved ones, and more.
- Semafor.com - A new global news platform for breaking stories and analysis.
- American Airlines is trying to stop a popular iPhone app Sequence Decoder that's become a 'must have' for its flight attendants.
- Twitter and Elon Musk make progress on a buyout, and Musk plans to cut 75% of its workforce.
- The dark side of a super app like WeChat in China.
- Pocket Casts mobile apps are now open source.
- Jack Dorsey-founded Bluesky is building a protocol for decentralized social networks.
- Damien Hirst is burning thousands of his paintings for an NFT project.
- Adware clicker apps in Google Play have been downloaded over 20 million times.
- Apple's macOS Ventura and iPadOS 16 will be released on October 24.
- Apple announced a new iPad and M2-powered iPad Pro, but the iPad lineup now seems like a mess.
- Apple announced a new Apple TV 4K with an A15 Bionic chip and HDR10+ for $129.
- More ads are coming to Apple's App Store starting next week.
- Apple's head of hardware design Evans Hankey is leaving three years after the departure of Jony Ive.
- NFL and Apple are at odds in Sunday Ticket negotiations.
- Boeing 787s must be turned off and on every 51 days to prevent 'misleading data' being shown to pilots.
- Hearing aids can now be sold over the counter in the US.
- Kanye West is buying the 'free speech platform' Parler.
- Meta ordered to sell Giphy by UK antitrust watchdog CMA.
- Are we ready for an AI chatbot that lets us speak to our dead loved ones?
- Red Bull co-founder and Red Bull Formula One owner Dietrich Mateschitz dies at 78.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
Get episodes ad-free with Club TWiT at https://twit.tv/clubtwit
- Semafor.com - A global news platform for breaking stories, analysis and video.
- American Airlines is Trying to Stop a Popular iPhone App That's Become a 'Must Have' For its Flight Attendants
- Twitter TWTR, Elon Musk Make Progress on Buyout Talk After Accusations - Bloomberg
- The dark side of a super app like WeChat | MIT Technology Review
- Pocket Casts Mobile Apps Are Now Open Source – Pocket Casts Blog
- Podcast app Pocket Casts goes open source | TechCrunch
- Jack Dorsey-Founded Bluesky Unveils Roadmap for Decentralized Social Networks - Decrypt
- CNN accused of rug pull as it abandons its NFT project
- Damien Hirst just burned 1,000 of his paintings and will soon burn thousands more
- Android adware apps in Google Play downloaded over 20 million times
- Apple will release macOS Ventura and iPadOS 16 on October 24 | Ars Technica
- The iPad’s erratic odyssey continues – Six Colors
- Apple announces an M2-powered iPad Pro with WiFi 6E | Engadget
- Apple's redesigned entry-level iPad has an A14 chip and USB-C charging | Engadget
- Apple Announces Apple TV 4K With A15 Bionic Chip and HDR10+ for $129 - MacRumors
- Apple Announces More Ads Coming to App Store Starting Next Week - MacRumors
- Apple’s Industrial Design Chief Hankey to Leave Three Years After Ive (AAPL) - Bloomberg
- NFL and Apple are at odds in Sunday Ticket negotiations
- Boeing 787s must be turned off and on every 51 days to prevent 'misleading data' being shown to pilots • The Register
- Getting hearing aids just got easier, faster and cheaper
- Kanye West is buying ‘free speech platform’ Parler - The Verge
- Meta gets final order to sell Giphy from UK antitrust watchdog | TechCrunch
- Technology that lets us speak to our dead relatives has arrived. Are we ready? | MIT Technology Review
- Red Bull Formula One owner Dietrich Mateschitz dies at 78